Thursday, November 8, 2012

RFKT Staff Q&A with Alexis Grausz


Here on our blog we'll be posting special Q&A's with the adults behind the scenes who strive to make our students' experience at Random Farms rewarding, educational and fun! First up, director Alexis Grausz.




Q: Tell me how long you've been with Random Farms.

I started five years ago. I went to NYU for college, and when I graduated I was an actor for about five years. I started working at Random Farms as a supplement so I didn't have to waitress quite as much. Then I started loving it and realizing that I actually love teaching a lot more than I love acting, so I ended up doing this full-time. Now I spend my life here.

Q: I know you always say in the pre-show speech that your favorite thing is how supportive everything is, but tell me in your own words what you like best about doing the programs at Random Farms.

I think it depends on which program. For the workshop program, I think my favorite part is watching a child who barely wants to speak up on day one stand on a stage and sing a solo by herself or himself on day 10 or whatever, and just see the progress that some of these kids make. For the Edge program, I really like being able to be creative and create choreography and ensembles and have a really talented group of teenagers to work with.

Q: What are you looking forward to most about Legally Blonde?

Getting through it! I am thrilled about the music, because they sound amazing. Charlotte is making them sound amazing. The choreography is starting to look really good. It's a big show, so I'm feeling months of exhaustion coming on, but I think it's going to be worth it because we have some really talented kids. They're going to be pretty fabulous.

Q: Tell me about a role or experience you really liked doing in your own past as a performer.

I think one of the favorite shows I ever did was a musical called "Sarah, Plain and Tall" based on the book. Actually Larry O'Keefe who wrote Legally Blonde wrote the music. I was on tour with it for about six months. It was like a beautiful fairy tale story, and I was performing for kids. It was a pretty incredible experience.

What's one thing you would want someone whose considering signing their child up for a Random Farm program but hasn't made the leap yet to know?

I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't benefit from this program. It doesn't matter what level you're at or how much experience you have. I feel like we have something for children at each level and each age group. Whether it's just learning to speak up or, you know, a pathway to Broadway, at every level we have something great to offer, and I see kids grow every time they leave here.

No comments:

Post a Comment