Tuesday, November 27, 2012

RFKT Q&A with Kathy Falcone of Downstage Video

So, I have a confession to make. As the Random Farms photographer, I frequently find myself with tears in my eyes as I photograph the kids in the theater. Sometimes it's the combination of the children's earnest voices singing a particularly touching song, but sometimes I get choked up just because the results of the kids' hard work are just so remarkable.

I know it might sound sappy, but here's the thing. I'm not alone in this. During performances, I sit in the center of the second to last row, all the way in the back of the Music Hall. I sit right in front of John and Kathy, the husband and wife team from Downstage Video who record all the shows.

During Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, I could hear Kathy sniffling behind me as she wept during "Any Dream Will Do," the final number of the show. Not only that, she wept at every single performance! We sat down to have this conversation after Cast A's show.



How did you become a member of the Random Farms Kids' Theater team?

We first became involved with Random Farms in 2001, when my daughter Beth used to do the shows. Her agent told us about it. This was back when everything was run out of Anya's parents' basement. Beth is 17 now.

You were just saying that you see a lot of theater given all the various companies that Downstage Video works with. What makes Random Farms so different for you?

Because when the curtain opens, it's magical. Anya has the best scenery, the best costumes, the best talent, and it's just a magical experience. You just get a little overwhelmed, especially having had a child grow up in this theater.

You were saying that you cry at every single show.

Yes, every single show brings me to tears. Every single one gets me teary.

Tell me why it moves you.

The kids are up there. They look fantastic. They're singing their hearts out; it's magical. They're cheering for each other. You don't see that at every theater, but you see it at Random Farms.

I love that about Random Farms! I love how ALL the adults here- not just the directors but everyone involved- they're all rooting for the kids behind the camera, the sound board, the spotlights, whatever. We all want the kids to succeed. 

Me, too. I know John and I do.

Thanks, Kathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment